When should we eat …before, during or after a workout?
Men vs. Women Fasted Exercise
“In the studies that have been done on men versus women and fasted exercise, what they found is that women who eat before exercise but then don’t eat after exercise tend to burn more fat for a longer period of time compared to the opposite scenario. And men are completely the opposite. Men who fast before exercise then don’t eat after exercise tend to burn more fat.
Should women eat a bit before a workout or after to burn more fat?
Women burn more fat for a longer period of time if they EAT BEFORE EXERCISE then DON’T EAT right after exercise
- Men who fast before exercise then don’t eat after exercise tend to BURN MORE FAT. And it’s related to how women versus men–women tend to be more efficient at burning fat as a fuel.
- When women are given a little bit of carbohydrates before a workout, they eat a little bit of carbohydrate before the workout and then they go out and they do the workout and then they’d fast after the workout, they actually burn more fat.
- And men are the opposite. Men, they don’t eat before the workout and then they eat following the workout (they burn more fat)
- We tend to see a little bit of a difference in the sex response to this. Now, you need to realize this was done in lean trained individuals.
- So, I would say, again, a caveat for like a really lean trained female would be that you may actually want to again eat something small before a workout if you fall into that category of a lean active female because I have seen some hormonal issues arise.
- And the cool thing is if you do that but then you fast after the workout, you still see a really good increase in fat oxidation. Some of the studies that have been done on men versus women are really fascinating.
Listen or read the rest... https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/nutrition-podcasts/fasted-exercise/
Are you doing fasted workouts too much?